HOW MUCH TIME OR HOW LONG DOES A CHAPTER 7 BANKRUPTCY TAKE?
ANSWER: About 3 months, give or take 7 days, from official filing date until discharge date.
Example: If you filed January 1, 2017, you would have a Creditors Hearing about 30 days later in early February. After the hearing your case has a 60-day window where nothing usually happens, and then the Court enters a discharge around April 1, 2017, give or take 10 days.
- Official filing date
- Creditors hearing (30 to 40 days later)
- Discharge date – Case closed (around 60 days after creditors hearing)
How can I get it done in this 90-day time frame?
- Hire an attorney and pay him or her.
- Do your credit counseling and debtor education class timely.
- Get your attorney all the paperwork he or she needs to prepare your petition.
- A Chapter 7 moves quickly; it’s up to you not to procrastinate.
How many Chapter 7’s can I file?
Answer: You can only file Chapter 7 once every 8 years.